About the Scholarship
Marshall Scholarships finance young Americans of high ability to study for a degree in the United Kingdom. Up to fifty Scholars are selected each year to study at graduate level at an UK institution in any field of study. As future leaders, with a lasting understanding of British society, Marshall Scholars strengthen the enduring relationship between the British and American peoples, their governments and their institutions. Marshall Scholars are talented, independent and wide-ranging, and their time as Scholars enhances their intellectual and personal growth. Their direct engagement with Britain through its best academic programs contributes to their ultimate personal success.
The objectives of the Marshall Scholarships are:
- To enable intellectually distinguished young Americans, their country’s future leaders, to study in the UK.
- To help scholars gain an understanding and appreciation of contemporary Britain.
- To contribute to the advancement of knowledge in science, technology, the humanities and social sciences and the creative arts at Britain’s centers of academic excellence.
- To motivate scholars to act as ambassadors from America to the UK and vice versa throughout their lives thus strengthening British American understanding.
- To promote the personal and academic fulfillment of each scholar.
Open only to United States citizens who (at the time they take up their Scholarship) hold a first degree from an accredited four-year college or university in the United States with a minimum GPA of 3.7. To qualify for awards tenable from October 2022, candidates must have graduated from their undergraduate college or university after April 2019.
Before completing the application candidates are advised to consider the objectives of the Marshall Scholarship Program, review the Candidate Evaluation Criteria and to be aware that the selection committees are seeking candidates who have the potential to excel as scholars, leaders and as contributors to improved UK-US understanding. The selection criteria are divided into three equally weighted categories:
2021 Information Sessions
Marshall, Mitchell, Rhodes Scholarship Essay Overview Video Recording
Special Guest: 2018 USC Marshall Scholar Jamie Kwong
Marshall Scholarship Personal Statement Essay Example (password protected – please email AHF)
Advising Period: April – May