The USC Africa Student Fund is a scholarship intended to support undergraduate student travel to African countries for study, research, service-based learning and internships. Students who have identified a project or program are invited to apply with this funding in mind. Winners may receive full or partial funding to help cover airfare costs associated with their proposed project or program.
Since its inception in 2010, the USC Africa Student Fund has supported students representing various USC Schools in their travel to countries such as Senegal, Mozambique and Ethiopia. Visit the Awardee Archive to see how previous recipients have utilized the USC Africa Student Fund.
The online application is available in October and February each year. Students should apply no more than 10 months prior to their departure date, and preferably within six months of leaving. A select group or recipients will be chosen during each application period.
Applicants must have a minimum 3.5 cumulative GPA and be enrolled as an undergraduate student with at least one semester of coursework remaining at USC (graduating seniors in their final semester are not eligible).
The Spring 2017 application will be available starting February 1. The deadline is February 28, 2017.
The application process includes submission of:
- An online application
- 2-page Personal Statement
- Your personal statement should address how this travel will contribute to your USC experience and/or future goals. Consider what can be gained from the experience and how it may impact your global perspective.
- If you are requesting funds for a study abroad program, you must also include your plans for civic engagement and/or community impact outside of the classroom experience. Simply participating in a pre-arranged study abroad program is not competitive enough for funding.
- 1 Letter of Recommendation
- Letters should be written on official USC letterhead by USC faculty or staff who are either directly involved in your travel experience or can speak to how your trip to Africa will contribute to your future learning.
Within one month of their return to the United States, award recipients will submit a project and/or reflective essay detailing the value of their experience in Africa.
For more information, contact Andy Liang at email@example.com.