Undergraduate Programs is looking for a new visual identity for its Signature Academic Events series. We are seeking submissions from current USC undergraduate students. The logo designs should be creative, professional, and complimentary to USC graphic identity guidelines. The winner(s) will receive a monetary prize of up to $500.00.
The UGP Signature Academic Events allow undergraduate students to:
- Explore diverse academic disciplines that contribute to their breadth and depth of knowledge;
- Showcase research, scholarly, and creative endeavors with the university community;
- Connect academic and professional goals to national, international, and post-graduate educational opportunities.
The purpose of the contest is to design a visual identity for the UGP Signature Academic Event Series. Essential assets will include:
- (1) logotype for the general UGP Signature Academic Event series
- (1) logotype and (1) logomark (icon) for Micro-Seminars
- (1) logotype and (1) logomark (icon) for Research and Fellowships Week
- (1) logotype and (1) logomark (icon) for Undergraduate Writers’ Conference
- (1) logotype and (1) logomark (icon) for Undergraduate Symposium for Scholarly & Creative Work
Here’s a guide about the specific design terminologies. Logos may be used in all media formats – including online, print, and merchandise. Logos should be complimentary to the USC graphic identity.
- To be eligible, each applicant must be currently registered as an undergraduate student at USC.
- Individuals or teams may submit no more than one entry.
- If a group submission or multiple submissions are selected, the monetary prize of $500.00 will be split evenly among all winners.
- All submitted work must be the original work of the applicant(s) and must not include, be based on, or derived from pre-existing or third-party designs, trademarks, or copyrighted images.
- All entries will become property of USC Academic Honors and Fellowships. By submitting an entry, each applicant agrees that any and all intellectual property rights in the logo design are deemed assigned to the University of Southern California.
- USC Academic Honors and Fellowships reserves the right to modify the winning logo to better fit the needs of the programs.
- The decisions of the Selection Committee are final.
- The selected winner(s) MUST submit a scalable vector version of the winning design so that it is adaptable to electronic and print media, to reproduction on small and large surfaces, and to use in color or in grayscale.
- Applicants are expected to refer to the USC graphic identity guidelines to inform their design.
How to Enter
- Complete the online application
- In the form, upload the logo designs in .jpeg or PDF format. If you are chosen as a winner, you must be able to provide a high resolution vector file in Adobe Illustrator or InDesign.
- All entries must be submitted by Sunday, November 10, 2019 at 11:59 PST
A selection committee will evaluate all entries based on the following criteria:
- Relevance – Does the entry align with the themes and goals of UGP Academic Signature Events?
- Originality – Does the entry exhibit original design, creativity, and innovation?
- Aesthetic Quality – Do the logos work as a collective as well as individual pieces? Do all the elements demonstrate visual consistency in color, composition, balance, etc.?
The winner will receive a $500 award. If the winning design is produced by a team of students, or if multiple winners are chosen, the award of one $500 prize will be divided equally among the winners. The selection committee reserves the right not to select a winner, if in its sole discretion, no suitable entries are received.
Questions? Contact Academic Honors and Fellowships at email@example.com