Current USC sophomores and juniors are eligible to apply. Competitive candidates will have:
- at least a 3.5 cumulative USC GPA
- demonstrated experience in public service
- and/or coursework that provides preparation for a demanding government internship.
Ideal candidates are mature, detail-oriented, and motivated. Competitive applicants will possess excellent verbal and written communication skills, an ability to prioritize multiple tasks under tight deadlines, work well with others, and have a good sense of humor. Graphic design skills are a plus.
Ten Schaeffer Fellowships will be offered for Summer 2018. The following information is offered as a guideline. Final details will be confirmed in an offer letter to each selected applicant. Regardless of placement, students should expect to afford some out-of-pocket expenses. Financial assistance is available for students with demonstrated need.
Washington, D.C. placements are full-time, ten-week positions (typically May 22 – August 1). Fellows are provided with a $6,000 stipend.
Washington, D.C. placements are full-time, ten-week positions (typically May 15 – July 28). Fellows are provided with a $5,000 stipend.
Los Angeles, CA
Los Angeles placements are full-time, ten-week positions (typically May 22 – August 1). Fellows are supported with a $5,000 stipend which is intended to assist with the cost of housing.
Interested applicants are invited to apply for up to two regions (Washington D.C., Sacramento, Los Angeles).
The following application materials are required:
- An online Schaeffer Fellow application
- A 500-word cover letter for each placement of interest
- Each cover letter should introduce your background, discuss your interest in a particular placement, and expand upon your relevant experience.
- Cover letters should address why you want to spend a summer in public service, demonstrate your understanding of pressing social issues, and explain how your academic, professional, or personal experience has prepared you for this opportunity.
- A one-page résumé that includes your education, work history, public service experience, and related skills.
- Two faculty letters of recommendation
- A supplementary writing sample (the topic need not be related to public service)
Applications for Summer 2018 due Friday, January 12th, 2018 by 11:59pm
Ten Schaeffer Fellowship opportunities will be confirmed in early spring. Competitive applicants will be invited to interview with a USC faculty panel and finalists will be recommended to Federal, State, or Local partners for a second round interview. Final placements will be determined in April.