About the Gilman Scholarship
The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship aims to diversify the kinds of students who study and intern abroad and the countries and regions where they go by offering awards to U.S. undergraduates who are receiving a Federal Pell Grant at a two-year or four-year college or university. Students who are eligible for Gilman and are interested in studying abroad in East or Southeast Asia should also look into the Freeman-ASIA Scholarship.
On November 29, 2016 President Obama signed an Executive Order giving alumni from the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship non-competitive eligibility for U.S. government jobs.
Visit the Gilman Scholarship website here.
- Be a United States citizen undergraduate student at an accredited two- or four-year U.S. institution in good standing
- Receiving a Federal Pell Grant at the time of application or during the term abroad
- Applying to or accepted into a study abroad program or internship eligible for academic credit by USC
- Participating in a study abroad program or international internship that is no less than three weeks (21 days) – in one country and no more than an academic year
- Studying or interning in any country not currently under a U.S. State Department Travel Warning. Students applying to programs in Mexico may only apply for scholarships to support study in Mexican states where no advisory is in effect according to the U.S. Department of State Travel Warning.
October 3, 2017 by 11:59pm (CDT): Spring 2018 & Summer 2018 Early Applications
To Be Announced: Summer 2018, Fall 2018 & 2018-2019 Academic Year Programs
Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program USC Information Session (Recorded 11/10/16)
Hear from staff from AHF, Overseas Studies and the Financial Aid Office about how to submit a strong application.
Gilman YouTube Channel – Includes tutorials on Uploading Transcripts, Online Application Walk-through & Composing Competitive Essays
Gilman Scholarship Presentation by Katherine Ampaw, Norman Topping Student Aid Fund Graduate Assistant & Gilman Scholarship Advisor
Program Assistant, Academic Honors and Fellowships
Schedule an Appointment